Sunday, September 5, 2010

"Will You Be My Bridesmaid" - Poems

The Project: "Will You Be My Bridesmaid" Poem (goes behind the Single Doll, or the place of your choice) *Sample Poems at the bottom*

The Cost: ~$10.00 if you already have a paper trimmer or ~$15.00-$20 total if you need to buy it from Michaels(sheets are .59-.99 at Michaels and AC Moore)
*Register for a Michaels account and use coupons that go toward the whole purchase if avaiable. This helps keep costs down on paper* If your not buying paper, use the 40% off coupons on everything else!
**Price will vary based on size of poem cards. Mine were quite large (~7-8 inches) so I only got two out of each sheet, if that. If you go smaller, you can feasibly get 3 or more from one sheet**

These are the fronts of my Poem Cards. They have 4 different papers per card and the MOH got a different version.

 These are the backs of their cards. Since I was working with an Asian theme, I created their names with an Asian Symbol for each girl. I know what you may ask, but don't,, I dont remember what the symbols mean :-)

The Story

Along with the original invite idea from oncewed.com, it showed alittle card asking the girls "Will You Be My Bridesmaid?". I couldn't decide how I could get my writing to look like the one in the picture so I said, what the hell, Ill create my own. I decided to start with colors. What colors did I want to use? I knew I wanted browns and orange as the pop color. Since I scrapbook on my own, I looked to see what papers I already had so as not to spend extra money. I found the marble toned printing paper that I then used to print the poems directly on. The rest of the colors I unfortunately had to go purchase and at .59-.99 a sheet, its not that cheap, but do-able. I then thought about what Id like to write on the cards and I originally was going to create my own saying or story, but that deemed to much work so I began my search for bridesmaid poems. A while variety came up and I picked 7 different ones I liked so that each girl could have their own poem based on out relationship. This is basically how this project came about...Now for how it was made!

First Things First
1. Pick the colors you want for the poem cards (This can be based on your wedding colors, colors you just like, or to match the dress you previously chose-Have fun with it!)
2. Pick the size of your poems (My suggestion-pick a size that is slightly smaller, or exactly the same size as your dolls. So if your dolls were 6 inches high and 3 inches wide, the poem should be that same measurement or somewhat smaller) This makes it easier later on to put the belly band on (I learned that the hard way when I made my MOH card a square)
3. Search your house for usable resources so you dont have to buy new products! Any way to save money is well worth it.
4. Decide if you are doing a back to your cards
5. Decide if you are doing a ribbon at the top

What you will need: Sorry, my poems were made before I realized I was going to do a blog, so I have no pics during creation, just the end product :-(


1. Glue stick or Glue runner (I suggest the Glue Runner-I learned the hard way that the glue will cause ripples in the cards and they will not be flat, looks alittle warped. When I tried the glue runner, I fell in love! I will never use glue again for stacking paper) ~5.00 for the runner and buy the refillable one! Its more upfront but cheaper in long run. You will use alot from the glue runner so maybe buy the 3 pack for 10$
2. Ribbon (.50 from AC Moore)
3. Paper (.59-.99 from Michaels or AC Moore) for backing and for printing on (make sure you can use it in your printer)
4. Paper trimmer (14.99 from Michaels but sign up for 40% coupons and get it for 9.00) (I had one already so its not reflected in my cost)
5. Poems
6. Printer to print poems on paper
7. Hole Puncher (1.50)
8. Colored marker of your choice (1.50)
 Step by Step Directions: I apologize that I dont have step by step pictures, I didnt take pictures during this process and I feel terrible. I know images help, at least for me they do. I will do my best to describe it and maybe I'll go back and make another one so I can put it up eventually for all you guys.

1. Start from the outside in, not the inside out!- Work on the back piece first and then work your way to the middle poem layer, its easier this way.
2. Determine your size, and color order.
3. Once size and color are chosen, take that color and make meaurement points on where the paper is going to be cut (Ex: if its 6 inches high and 3 inches wide, mark 6 inches on one side, and 3 on the other so you know where to trim)
4. Place paper into the trimmer, line the mark up to the cutter, and Slice away!
5. Repeat for the other side as well until you have your 6x3 shape or whatever size you chose.
6. Do this however many times you need to. For me, I did 6 of each layer because my MOH's was different and had to be done seperately

7. Take second color that will be used and decide how much of the first paper you want to be shown. If your back layer is brown, as in my case, and the next layer was the lighter brown, I wanted about 1/4" to be seen of that darker brown.
8. Once you decide how much will be shown, get the new measurements for the next paper. The paper will obviously be getting smaller as you go inward. (if you chose 1/4" then the paper will be 1/4" less on all sides leaving your new paper size to 5 3/4" x 2 3/4" and so on) - Make as many of these as you need, I needed 6 total.

9. If you have more colors to use as I did, keep this process going. If you don't choose to do as many layers, than you will have no need to go any further. Just skip to the Poem layer.
10. For me I had a 3rd layer, the orange, so I measured out how big that sheet would need to be, and placed in the trimmer once again. I did this 6 times.
11. Place all backing layers to the side for now.

Now the Poem Layer! This can be alittle tricky because now you are left with only a certain amount of space that can hold the poem. DO NOT CUT the sizes out for the poem layer because then you will be unable to put it in the printer! You will print first, then cut.

12. Pull up your poems on the computer. Copy and Paste into Word. Choose font, font colors, and sizes.
13. Place 1 poem in the middle of the paper, centered all around to an eye-appropriate size
14. Print.
15. Do this as many times as you need depending on the amount of bridesmaids you have.
16. When printed out, you should have one poem on each page directly in the middle.

I know it seems like a waste of paper because you can probably fit more than 1 poem on a page, but its worth the paper rather than trying to figure out the size you need first. You will most likely print out more paper that way because it will come out wrong each time.

17. Now, determine the actual size you need to fit the poem onto the other backings. Lets say its 3x2, measure around the poem that 3x2 size, mark with a pencil lightly and place in the trimmer.
18. Trim down the poem to the appropriate size or cut alittle at a time to make sure you get the size you will want.

19. Start again from outside, in.
20. Take the biggest size paper and place on a flat surface.
21. Now take the next smallest size, take your tape runner and just go on the outsides of the card to basically create a rectangle line of glue.
22. Flip over and carefull place onto the bigger paper, leaving the same amount of excess on each side so it looks centered.
23. Continue to do this for all backings.
24. When it comes to the poem, do that the exact same way, placing it in the middle of the paper before it.
25. All done! - well with the fronts

If you are not doing a back at all, take your hole puncher, punch two holes on each card at the top for the ribbon. Cut ribbon to an approprate size, larger is better because you can always cut it later. Place one end in one hole, place the other end in the other hole and pull through. Make sure each side is same length and make a knot. I make a knot first because I find itll hold the bow better. Once knotted once, create a bow and cut off any excess ribbon you dont like.

If you are doing a back thats like mine, than continue will my directions. If you are choosing to do your own creation, just have fun with it and its all about trial and error! Dont be afraid to mess up. Once you mess up once, trust me, you wont do it again :-)

26. Decide how many colors you will use for the backing of the name, and/or symbol
27. Start from the outside in again, choosing a color for the largest piece and cutting it to an approriate size that you like.
28. Cut the next color to whatever size you choose and do that for as many sheets of backing as you choose to have.
29. In my case, I used only a backing and then a sheet for the name. I cut the orange to the size I wanted, took the lighter color and cut that as well.
30. Once cut, I glue runnered the back of the name, and centered onto the orange paper. The name matting was done.
31. Write each girls name on the paper using a marker or whatever tool you choose. I used a calligraphy pen and tried to use a unique font of my own. I practiced in pencil first and if I liked it, I went over it with the brown marker.
32. If doing a symbol as I did, the same rule applies. Start from outside and work your way in. Choose your colors, and make them smaller as they go inward.
33. Once completed to how ever many papers you used, create a logo or symbol in pencil first on the paper and go over in marker.

Sample Poems: or google "Bridesmaids Poems" for other great option

Poem 1
The Day, the dress

The Bride, the Groom
The Joy the tears will all come soon

Confusing true love to my husband-to-be
with family and friends all watching me
Pray the sun will be shining down
and that i will fit into my gown

Now there is just one more thing that is left to be and thats to have you standing with me...
Will you be my bridesmaid?

Poem 2
I will always fondly remember the special times we shared.
You've laughed with me you've cried with me
and always shown you care.
So on that joyful day in "June" when I will be a bride,
I would be honored as well as priveleged to have you by my side.

Will you be my bridesmaid

Poem 3
Through the in's and out's
And thick and thin
No matter what's happened
There've you been

you smile when i need it
and listen when i grieve,
you hug me when i cry-
and blow boogers on your sleeve

I treasure you friend
More than diamonds or gold,
and i promise i wil
when we are saggy and old

So please stand by my side
when i say "I DO"
for I wouldn't be me
without a friend like you

Poem 4
You've shared with me the special times,
our friendship grows each day,
We've shared our secrets and our dreams,
and laughed along the way.

And now at this most special time
as my wedding day nears,
I would like to have you by my side
to calm some jitters and the fears.

When I am walking down the aisle
a very happy bride,
It would mean so very much to me
to have you by my side.

Will you be my bridesmaid?

Poem 5
You have always been there, more than just a friend.
You know just who I am and everywhere I’ve been..

You’re the one who I can turn to, any hour of the day.
Seems, I only have to think of you and you’ll be on your way.

No matter where life takes me, no matter where I roam.
When I’m with you’re my friend, my heart feels right at home.

So on my wedding day I will need you more than ever
Please say you’ll be my bridesmaid now…

And my friend forever.

Poem 6-MOH
To get ready for a wedding, there's just so much to do,
from choosing bridesmaid's dresses, to finding something blue.

I see so very clearly, how this wedding's only one,
of the many times you've helped me, when things needed to be done.

Simply to say thank you, just doesn't seem to share,
the feelings here inside me, when I see how much you care.

You are so very special and my heart is grateful for
the friendship that we share and will be forevermore.

Thank you for adding joy to my life.

Will You Be My Maid of Honor?

No comments:

Post a Comment